Friday, February 7, 2014

Finally, a solution....

Here we are, back on 4B at El Camino Hospital.  The picc line is in. It is basically a very thin line that delivers IV meds into the bloodstream.  Jim will be getting a small pump that he'll wear in a 'fanny pack' which will automatically deliver the needed antibiotics 4 times a day.  I'll only need to change the 'bag' once a day, when I get home from school.  The meds and pump are all scheduled to be delivered the day he goes home.  I am still hoping for Sunday, but everyone here keeps saying Monday.  We'll see about that.

When I say everyone, I mean it. It's been quite a parade! They were right ready for us when we got here about 12:30. The RN and CNA got all of Jim's vitals, hooked him up to oxygen and the "picc lady" was here and gone by 2:30. The RN case manager dropped in to give us the plan, as well as the Oncology doctor on duty.  We just met with the representative from the specialty infusion company that will be delivering all the supplies for home and training us how to use it all. Later the Infectious disease specialist who is coordinating all of this will pay a visit.  Oh, and Jim got a late lunch delivered.  So quite a busy day so far!

The knowledge that we are taking action to finally relieve the debilitating cough and chest pain has us both feeling upbeat and encouraged.  


2 comments:

  1. A course of action! whoo hoo! hope you are feeling better soon Jim! love to you and Sandra. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AS Bruce Willis would say: yippee kay eh ! I will leave out the rest - so happy they have figured this out - leave it to Jim to get the crazy ass complications. Jim - I don't believe you have ever met an obstacle you couldn't overcome - warrior mode ON! Looking forward to seeing you both soon.
    Love
    Marie

    ReplyDelete