Thursday, February 13, 2014

Second verse, same as the first

Here we are again, another stay in the hospital, this is three weekends in a row! We are feeling pretty frustrated and discouraged. It is pretty scary to be spending this much time in the hospital. However, on the other hand, we are hopeful, yet again. Because at least we are getting the treatment we need.  We are so grateful for the excellent care we have gotten (from everyone except the doc we fired). We are grateful for insurance, social security and disability payments. I am grateful for every moment we have together, and we are incredibly grateful for the love and support of our family and friends.

After getting trained and up to speed, with Linda's help and encouragement, on the at home IV treatment, we got an email from Dr. Wong telling us that, after looking at the CT results, he saw the infection is more involved than he thought, so he wanted us to see Dr. Krishna again to see if there is more we can do besides the antibiotics and breathing treatment.  So I called Krishna's office yesterday and was told he could see us on the 27th. I don't think so. So I went into 'mama bear mode' and explained, politely, that this was unacceptable.

We got a call this morning that Dr. Krishna could see us at 1:30.  So I ran off to do some errands and was gone about an hour when I for a text that we were checking in to the hospital at two.  It seems that Krishna and Wong got together and decided that at-home treatments were not going to be enough to stop this infection.  So here we are again.

Jim is sleeping now, getting his usual anitibiotics and breathing treatments as well as two units of blood, O positive, of course!  Not just a blood time but a prayer.  We are hoping the whole stay turns out, oh, positive!

Tomorrow morning Jim will head down to get his first bronchoscopy of the week.  No one has told me exactly why, so I am making up a plausible reason; that Krishna can suck out as much of the gunk and infection that is causing all that trouble in his lungs.  Hey, it seems reasonable.

Dr. Krishna is great about communicating directly, so I am sure I will have more to report tomorrow.

Thanks Joni, for today's quote:

No comments:

Post a Comment