Thursday, May 9, 2013

I hope cancer gets cancer and dies

We learned a lot today and have a plan. We checked into the hospital around 9:30 and then had to be patient in both senses of the word. We met with the regular oncologist, Dr. Wong. He gave us a general idea of the plans and how we will attack this thing. Today they did an MRI to make sure that he has a brain, oh, I mean to make sure there is no cancer in his brain. We just got the results and his brain is clean (insert your own joke here). He also had an x-ray. I think that may have been to make sure the stent hadn't moved.

He will have a PET scan and bone scan tomorrow to give them a very clear picture of where the cancer is and isn't. Dr. Wong prescribed drugs to help with anti-nausea, anxiety and to help bolster his appetite. We both like this doctor.

Just now we met with the medical director of Radiation Oncology, Dr. Sinha, who will be our radiation doc. This guys was also great. He laid out the plan and answered my questions before I could ask them. He also is a firm believer in complementary medicine.

Both doctors pointed out that treatments have come a long way in the last ten years. The side effects of radiation might be fatigue, skin irritation (but not burning) and some irritation of his throat, which has already been dealing with so no worries there.

So here is the plan:
Tomorrow he will start radiation, which involves a CT scan and computer imaging to mark exactly where to zap. It will be about a two hour appointment. The funny thing is they have to take him in an ambulance even though he could walk there from here. Anyway, he'll have radiation 5x a week for 3-5 weeks. If he tolerates it well, they'll start chemo in about 2 weeks.



We all feel very strong about our plan to attack this. I told him what one of my students said as we were 'collecting coins to kill cancer'- I hope cancer gets cancer and dies.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Mountain View,United States

1 comment:

  1. Love that you have a plan. And so good to hear that Jim has a clean brain and to think I believed all those stories about his dirty mind. Haha
    It sounds like they are doing all the right things.
    Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete